Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Flipped classroom meets progressive education?

I had a chance to listen to a podcast by Troy Cockrum with EdReach on best practices- this was one of his mad minute narrations, and ended up being more of a "what not to do list."  I couldn't help but draw a few parallels with progressive educator Alfie Kohn.  I had a chance to see Kohn speak a few months ago in VA, and from everything I remember about his energetic lecture was that the classrom should not be centered on the teacher, that students should not be bored to tears with worksheets, and that less time should be devoted to test prep.  Ditto all these things with Cockrum.  Where Kohn flashes his most controversial colors is his disdain for homework.  Which makes me wonder: would Kohn and other progressive educators support the flipped classroom?  My gut feeling is that yes, yes he would.  Unless someone out there knows the answer right off the bat, my ninja reporter instincts are to try and get in touch with Kohn- it would be an interesting conversation.

At the same time, my thoughts on narrated podcasts are a bit conflicted after the 2 minute segment.  Maybe it's because I'm a visual person, maybe I prefer to read, but listening to monotone voice takes concentration and is not the most enjoyable way of digesting information.  Nonetheless it's easy enough to play again, and I suppose that's part of what the flipped classroom is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment